|Tourists who had visited Pulau Ketam might wondered how the village became a paradise from a desolated island. The History is interesting and worth compliment.
|Long time ago, Pulau Ketam was desolated, small island full of “Mangrove Swamps” and famous for its crabs. Three Hainan fishermen from Bagan Hainan, Port Klang, were the first to arrive at Pulau Ketam catching crabs for their living. At first, the came and returned to Port Klang daily. The journey took almost a day. A few month later, they built a small house to stay over nights. They rowed back to Port Klang the second day selling crabs and buying daily sundries it return. After that, they had decided to stay permanently.
|In 1883, the population increased almost to hundred. The Major activities were catching crabs, fishes and prawns. Some of them built sundries shops, and fish dealer shops. As time past, population increased gradually, the Hokkien and Teochew Group also came to this island to earn their living. They stayed at Jalan Besar, Sungai Dalam and Bagan Teochew. Wooden house name “Kongsi House” were built. (“Kongsi” Mean Sharing). Those who were than 20 “Kongsi House” in this island. Now, every villager had his own house, thus the “Kongsi House” became a history testimony.
|Since Tanah Melayu was conquered by Japanese, a lot of people flee to Pulau Ketam, because it was safe and peace from war. So the population boomed. At the time, “Hai Ann Ferry” company provided ferry Services to the population.
In 1950’s, the diesel engines and new fishing net had been introduced to this island, thus improving the fishing skill, increased the captures. The number of residents, houses, shops had increased tremendously. Soon, The Pulau Ketam Electric Company was built to provide electricity supply for this island.
|From 1960’s to 1970’s, post office, primary school and the other basic facilities sprouted in this island as well.
Tragedy happened in the year 1967 and 1972, where fires destroyed all the houses and shop lots in Jalan Besar and Sungai Dalam. All the shops were rebuilt later. For preventive measures, The Bomba Sukarela Pulau Ketam was form at 1972. All of Volunteers Member are from Pulau Ketam’s residents.
|In 1991, the new jetty was ready to use, and piped water was supplied from the mainland by governments.
In 1993, the Hospital Desa Pulau Ketam began to serve the village.
During 1994’s Christmas Day, another fired destroyed 4 shops in the main street.
In 1998, Pulau Ketam experienced slight flood. It affected roughly 30% of the residents areas. At the same year, Alam Flora started to collect rubbish, making this island cleaner than ever.
In 1999, the new ferry services had been introduced. One of the KTM terminal located at Pork Klang. Both types of transportations make the journey to Pulau Ketam more easy and time saving.
To date, Pulau Ketam is equipped with almost all the basic facilities. It also plays a role as a major fishes, crabs, prawns provider to Klang valley, and a tourism spot of Negeri Selangor.